Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hexnut tutorial

So earlier I posted that I did that I did  a hexnut macrame bracelet  My first attempt. My macrame skills are about as good as my friendship bracelet skills so the bracelet came out somewhat impefect lol. But I still like I made an ultra cheapie version using a box of small hexnuts or machine nuts screws  from Home Depot and Plastic canvas cord (I believe this is for shades or blinds?) brought from Joannee Fabric which I already had.
here a vid of the tutorial that inspired me http://youtu.be/QT7iHShl-pM but I'll list what I used

If you want to copy mine you'll need

6-12 small hex nuts

plastic canvas cord (found at Joanne Fabrics ribbon and string section)

clipboard, clips, tape, desk leg and safety pins or just something to secure your base cord while braiding

some glue (e600 or beaders glue work best)

a good pair of scissors

cut 3 strings bout  2 yards long or 3 times the size of your wrist I always do it extra long as you'll need a lot extra for the braiding you can always trim lata

measure down 4 inches and knot your 3 string together with a overhand knot.

The middle string is your base strand and the 2 on either side are your working strands.

Make a knot onto your right strand this will be your starting strand. Make 5 macrame knots (refer to video if you don't know how)

add a hexnut and do 2 more knots or you can add more for a different look with less hexnuts

repeat until you use all your desired hex nuts

do 5 more knots or until long enough to reach you wrist

untie staring knot

cut side strings from both ends

secure last knot with a very small dab of glue

take another hex nut and pull thru both strands on oposite sides

tie knots on both ends (I also tied a knot in the middle and I was still able to adjust the strands.)

that's it enjoy your new bracelet!


I like this I think its very unisex style. I plan on buying some Chinese knotting cord and fancying this up a lil bit. I also tried spray paint on the hex nuts but it didn't work out very well. Paint took for ever to dry and was very sticky. If you have a better idea on how to paint these let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment